08 February 2018

Stitched Poppies For You

After trying out some different inking effects with my Distress Oxide ink pads this week and being inspired by the Tim Holt'z fans over on Facebook, I was inspired by a card made by a group member. The card had a background which had really "made" the card. Previously I had been creating lots of vivid rainbow backgrounds and some pastel ones too. But this time after seeing that inspiring card I approached the background effect a little differently than usual by just using 2 colours. I simply used Fossilised Amber and Peeled Paint for this background. 
I used the swooshing method and water to create the background of the card and I was amazed to get this effect I surprised myself lol!  I am enjoying this Distress Oxide journey. Thank You Tim Holtz!
Yesterday was a "staying in" day, which gave me a good time to design (play!) with one of my newest stamps too...

This is my new Stitched Poppies stamp by Woodware, it was released  January 2018  I love the many stitched lines around the poppies which give a stitched effect as if someone has sewn the poppies. I did however cut off from the stamp those grungy edges though! eeeeek yes I said CUT!!! but I saved all the pieces in case I want to use them in future. I did this because I didn't want them stamped in black on my card. That would have been too dark for me as I wasn't trying to achieve a grunge effect. Also, they limit the use of the stamp... without those grungy borders I can use a square or circle die to cut the image out too.

I really like the effect of stitching on cards and mixed media. There's lots of dies available now with a faux stitching edge. I used to add faux stitches by drawing them with a fine line black pen but the new dies are so much easier to use. For my card I used my wonky stitched rectangle dies to cut the image out and then tried to highlight the stitched lines with a black fine line pen. My eyes are not that good and failed me in places but I managed to get the effect I was looking for which has pleased me. But I think I will leave the stitching to the work of the  dies in future! trouble is once I had started I had to complete it!.
I am entering this card into a few challenges
"Favourite way to add stitching (faux, real, drawn) and why"
favourite way to add stitching is with dies just because it's so much easier

Crafty Card Makers challenge

"Get Inky / Messy"
Yes I did have a play with my Distress Oxide Inks!
"Anything Goes + a Stamp"
This Stitched Poppies stamp is the star of this card!
"Anything With Flowers"
Definitely 3 Beautiful flowers
"Anything But Cute"
No, this is not a cute card but I do love it!

I stamped the image again and coloured the poppy flowers using my watercolour pencils. Then I cut them out and shaped them so that I could layer them 3d style, I added Nuvo Jewel Drops to accent the centres. The leaves were coloured using Peeled Paint oxide ink and an almost dry brush. 
I used pieces of sage green and red card to add layers behind the image and cut  a velum lattice strip and 2 corners using my spellbinders lattice die set. I added some guipure to the top of my stamped image sticking the image down with foam sticky tape.

I made a little pennant from style banner from velum then stamped and white embossed it with "for you" sentiment
Finally to accent I added some cotton thread and a die cut sewing needle (Tattered Lace die) to give the illusion of hand sewing again and 2 little buttons on the sentiment banner and a few twinkly sequins.
I have a number of friends who are fabulous needle workers, whether machine or by hand or cross stitch, This stamp will be so useful to make cards for them too.

thanks for looking have a great week!


13 comments:

Sue said...

What a very pretty card Teresa, these Oxide inks are wonderful aren't they! Thank you so much for joining in with us at Country View Crafts, and have a very happy week. Sue xx

brenda said...

Oh dear Teresa, another Poppy stamp I need to add to my already over sized Poppy collection !

It's a beautiful card and the pretty soft greens really make the Poppies pop, it's perfect for our theme at Stamping Sensations, many thanks for joining in.

B x

RitaR said...

I continue to be inspired by your journey with the oxide inks .... this is such a soft background just perfect for showcasing your new poppy stamp! Each time I visit your lovely blog the Lord reminds me to pray for improved eyesight for you! You're such a gifted card maker and your love of paper crafting is so evident .... I'm asking the Lord to grant you perfect eyesight so that you can continue warming our hearts with your creations! Hugs and blessings!

Unknown said...

RitaR
thank you Rita what a lovely comment to find today
I am so blessed by your kind words and your prayers too
thank you xx

Evelyn Walter said...

Oh, what a precious card, Teresa! The little needle is such a nice add to the stitched poppies! Beautiful colors too!
Thank you for playing along with our Challenge this month at Country View Crafts.
Evelyn xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Loving your card. Thanks for sharing it with us at Crafty Cardmakers and good luck with the challenge, Angela xXx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Loving your card. Thanks for sharing it with us at Crafty Cardmakers and good luck with the challenge, Angela xXx

pinky said...

Wow it's absolutely beautiful!! Thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations this month.
Pinky

J said...

I've only just started collecting the oxide inks too. They are wonderful, aren't they? It's going to cost me a fortune to get them all... Your card is lovely - beautifully coloured. Thank you for joining in our challenge at Crafty Cardmakers this time.

Jackie

Chris said...

I've begun cutting my stamps apart too - scary at first but oh so worth it! This is absolutely stunning and I love all the details you shared here. Thank you! Congrats on making Top 3 over at my heARTful stamping challenge this week - I look forward to you stopping by again!

Zw@@n said...

Beautiful card, Teresa. And what a gorgeous stamp. Great background too. Thanks for joining us at As You Like It. Luv, Wilma

Juliet A said...

I love what you did with this card, and all the details about your process! I agree with you that sometimes the stamp makers are too limiting with their designs, and it is good that you have the courage to cut off the parts you don't like. May I suggest that if you want to darken the diecut stitching, you can lightly ink the die when you use it (but of course be careful not to drag the paper when lining it up). This is a great entry for the HeARTful Stamping Challenge!

Sally H said...

A beautiful floral creation! Absolutely stunning! Thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations this month and Good Luck!