26 February 2018

A Similar But Very Different Card

I am sharing another Distress Oxide inked card today and a few tips about putting a card together when you just cant think!!! I was struggling to make a card I really needed to send to a friend, she is such a jolly person even in the face of such difficult times. She is also a card maker so I knew she would love something a little bit different. But my head was kinda foggy with stuff!
I knew I wanted a colourful pastel Distress Oxide inked background and to use a new Woodware flower stamp set but I struggled to think up how to put my card together. Sometimes it gets like that with me when I have a lot on my mind, or when I am struggling with pain, I just can't seem so think straight, and that causes even more stress! I suppose it's the same as writers block?


I am learning that at these times I should go back and look at previous cards that pleased me and use them as a starting point.  Remember the Stitched Poppies card I made in a previous post? I was really happy with that card so I used it to help me with the card layout. rather like working with a card sketch, choosing certain elements and repeating them and maybe changing them a little! to create a similar but very different card..... I must remember to do this again as it really helped me to get going and make this rather important card (below) for a friend!
First I created the background using watercolour paper, lots of water and my Distress Oxide ink pads. after adding water to the paper liberally with a brush I swooshed my ink pads onto my glass surface and used a paint brush to add the colour to the paper trying not to think too much but also wanting to leave some white space I blobbed the ink and watched it spread on the wet watercolour paper creating areas of pastel colour. Then after drying the paper with a heat tool, I dipped my hand into clean water and sprinkled over my inked piece and dried it again watching the awesome effects Of Distress Oxides doing their thing! I love this technique, its almost fool proof and no two pieces are exactly the same
I then used the wonky stitched rectangle die to cut a piece of it out as with the Stitched Poppies card. I stamped the image using wilted violet distress ink after making sure my background was totally dry.  I coloured the flower image using perfect pearls powder with a little water using a paintbrush. 
Then I copied the side panel but this time I gave it a pennant tail and ran it through a leafy embossing folder. I carefully dabbed a versamark ink pad onto the raised leaves and applied dry perfect pearls powder to it with a soft paint brush, this highlighted the embossed leaves beautifully. 
My card was coming together now. I had overcome that initial block and found my creative flow again! 
I didn't want to distract from that lovely background so the grupier lace wasn't gonna work this time, its a bit too heavy for a delicate card. So I created a delicate white border strip using a die from the Floral Thinlit dies set by Stampin' Up instead. A pink strip of card completed the card base. After assembling the card I stamped and cut the sentiment which is taken from a Stampendous stamp set and then finally added the pearls which echo the perfect pearl elements nicely.
I am entering my card into some challenges...
"Use your favourite distress inking techniques"
"Stamping (no Digi's)"

***Some of my photo's seem to make that fossilised amber (yellow) colour look a lot more intense than it actually is, I think it s because the photo was taken in bright sunshine!

This has been a good lesson for me, I made 2 very similar but very different cards, why do I always want to reinvent the wheel? I am gonna type this out and put it on my desk.... 
"If you just can't think what to do,
 go back to when it worked for you!"

4 comments:

The Craft Princess said...

I love the background you created with the Distress Oxide Inks....the colors are so pretty and definitely compliment the flower. I also love all the layers and textures you created. It all came together for a wonderful card. Thank you so much for entering our challenge at Crafter's Castle this month....good luck :)
Hugs... Janie
DT
Crafter's Castle
crafterscastle.blogspot.com

Sian said...

A beautiful card. Thank you for joining us at Cardz 4 Galz. Sian.

RitaR said...

I'm a sucker for pastel colors, so I'm really enjoying this beauty! Thank you for sharing all your design details, Teresa! How lovely that you were even able to pick up the sheen on your flower image in your photos .... that's often hard to do. Using Perfect Pearls and the delicate die cuts to compliment your Distress Oxide background was inspired! Your advice about returning to past design successes as a starting point is very helpful. Blessings!

Janis Lewis said...

Beautiful cards. Thanks for joining us at Cardz 4 Galz.